NGC 1433 galaxy

Designation:  NGC 1433 in constellation of Horologium.
Visual magnitude:   +10
Apparent size: 6.2 x 3.0 arc-minutes.
Diameter: 49,000 light years.
Distance: 27 million light years.
Date: 2020-01-31
Exposure: 27 x 107 sec = 48 minutes.

A distant spiral galaxy exhibiting both a bar and a ring structure, receding at 1075 kilometres per second.

This forty-eight minute exposure was not enough to reveal the very diffuse outer spiral structure. This would require a darker sky than my suburban location can offer – and a longer exposure too.

NGC 1433 is known to professional astronomers for its active galactic nuclei.


Best wishes to everyone who reads this, wherever you are imprisoned. We will get through this covid-19 hell-crisis eventually.

I am trying to find things to stop me from going insane but not getting much done at all. Spending too much time worrying about what kind of world we are heading towards.

I’m already missing the friendship of my friends at Macarthur Astronomical Society. All events are cancelled, meetings, field nights and public nights, although we still communicate a bit on Facebook but after ten years of it, I’m finding the whole Facebook experience far too trivial and mind-numbing.

It is important that we all find our own personal ways to cope with this bewildering situation. The Universe is my best therapy and I’m hoping for some cloud free autumn nights once we get a few days past full moon on 8th April.

I hope you are managing the situation and that you have your own ways to relax your nerves as we head into a somewhat uncertain future.


Telescope Details
SkyWatcher Esprit 120 mm apochromatic 3-element refractor.
840 mm focal length @ f/7 with field flattener.
Baader L-Booster UHC-S light pollution filter 2458276.
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro mount.
Camera: ZWO ASI 071 MC Pro (CMOS 28.4mm 16 Mpx)
ZWO ASI120 guide camera, using PHD2 software.

Identification image on Astrometry.net

2018-03-10 Telescope & Roger
Images © Roger Powell
I’m a founder member of Macarthur Astronomical Society,
Australia. 🙃

8 Comments

  1. It looks a bit like Vader’s ship coming in for an attack run.

    Good luck with your planned (home) outings. Clear skies, and all that.

    As for coping, this isn’t really all that different for us . . . one of the advantage of having 99.99% of friends on the Internet . . . and the remaining 0.01% living about 2,000 miles away.

    But, one still needs to make the effort to keep a mental and emotional balance. It’s easier than ever to go down any number of mental rabbit holes.

    Liked by 3 people

  2. I know it is easier said than done, but I always say, there is no use worrying about things you cannot control.

    The world is a mighty large place, and unfortunately the media, at least hear in the States, focuses on everything that is wrong and bad. Covid or not, the world is always ending if all one does is watch the news broadcasts. I shunned viewing the world through their filter a long time ago, and I know my well being is far better off for it. So I take only the information I need, and then focus on my own situation, and how to make the best of it, no matter the circumstance or national or world events. Yes, have a perspective of what’s going on around you, but also take heed that for most of us, our sphere of control and influence is limited, but we can make the best of it no matter how small that sphere is.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Good advice. One thing I have learned is to ignore the daily parade of political posturing, especially daily media conferences in front of national flags that have been going on here since the start of the bushfires and continued into this current crisis.

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Our worlds are being altered and changed in a multitude of ways. It is hard to predict what will come next. I feel reassured by the cycles of nature as we move through the seasons and by the predictable movement of the moon and planets. They make me feel better as they reliably do as expected. Humans, on the other hand, can be a very different thing.

    Liked by 1 person

Your say.......

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s